Getting you through your divorce, no matter the challenges.
Just as everyone's marriage or relationship is unique, so too is every divorce. While all people getting divorced in Washington will follow the same general processes, the experience will always be completely different depending on the relationship of and issues facing the married couple.
The experience of a divorce attorney is highly beneficial as you go through the process. We will keep your case moving smoothly and navigate whatever specific challenges you may face with your case, guiding you on a path that will allow you to set yourself up for the fresh start you deserve.
Let our skilled attorneys at Sunset Family Law handle your case so you can get past the divorce process and focus on the new journey that lies ahead for you.Let our skilled attorneys at Sunset Family Law handle your case so you can get past the divorce process and focus on the new journey that lies ahead for you.
An overview of the Divorce Process
Most people going through the divorce process have never done so before, so they may be intimidated by the unfamiliar nature of it. While the individual issues in your divorce may become complicated, the process of the divorce itself is rather simple. In general, you can expect the following to occur:
- The process begins with the petition for divorce and service of divorce paperwork
- Next is a waiting process for the non-petitioning spouse to respond
- If the divorce is uncontested, the next step is to wait 90 days and then submit for court approval
- If the divorce is contested, negotiations will begin between the two parties
- As negotiations begin, you will make temporary arrangements for child custody, child support and spousal maintenance as needed
- A settlement conference occurs, at which a judge speaks to both parties (with their attorneys) in separate rooms to see if they can come to an agreement
- If no agreement can be made, the case goes to trial, in which a judge hears testimony, weighs evidence and makes a ruling regarding any contested issues in the case
At Sunset Family Law, we devote ourselves entirely to divorce and family law and care deeply about getting you the best possible result in your case. To schedule a consultation, contact us today.